Thursday, March 4, 2010

Approachable

I was recently called approachable. I have been trying to decide whether this is a good or bad trait.
Not so good when everyone and their brother feels the need to tell you "You really have your hands full"
Not so good when strange people come up to you and follow you around.
I had a disturbing experience the other day at Isaac's soccer practice.
I was sitting with Wendy on her blanket of course her blanket because
I barely made it out the door with 4 kids
15 minutes late because Jaynee had blown out of her diaper I had to change her outfit and she didn't even have socks on good thing we live in Southern California
so I didn't have a blanket or chair or jackets for the kids even.
(I am trying to put at the back of my mind Rob pointed out a really put together woman at the kids open house the other night)
So this girl comes up to me and she asks about Jaynee. I tell her she is six monthes old and she goes gaw gaw over how she is so smilely and then she notices Seth and Brianna are mine then Isaac takes a water break and she says wow you have FOUR kids. She stays and watches for a while finds out Wendy has four also. Tells me they are hyper of course Seth and Brianna are all over the place. During this time I realize that she is not of full mental capacity. I try to be kind and answer her questions and not get irritated by them. Yes FOUR is a lot of work. Isaac's practice finally ends and we are popsicles ( I don't like being cold) We start making our way to the car and she is still following us. Then she goes over and gets her stroller with a baby doll in it. Now I am creeped out completely. I start loading the kids in the car and I am thinking what if she tries to take Jaynee? She is really not all there mentally I can tell this from our interaction or maybe it was just socially she did not catch any of my boundary lines. I am confident if she tried I could annilate her however what a tramatic scene that would be for my kids and would one of them get hurt in the process. I can't stand the thoughts and start to stress out. I tell Isaac to get in the back. He goes and opens the rear of the Tahoe...can I blame him he has been told not to climb over the seats of course this is the one time that he obliges that command and it really would have been better had he just climbed over the seat. Like I said my thoughts are stressing me out so I buckle the kids up as fast as I can and even lock the door before I get into the drivers seat. She finally leaves. I can now breath as I watch her walk off with her stroller still holding a fake baby. I am not sure how old she was maybe early 20's. I will have to ask Wendy if she was as creeped out as I was. I am going to work on not being so approachable for a while... cause really I don't see the advantages of it

2 comments:

Jennifer Knight said...

You are so funny - great post! I am always told how UN-approachable I am. I wish I were more approachable. One good thing is I never hear any gossip in our ward because I am so UN-approachable! haha Really, I just look intimidating (or whatever) I am really a soft teddy bear inside!

Monica said...

I think she wanted you to retaliate in giving attention to her about her baby (doll). The dangerous ones are more sly and you'd be impressed not creeped out by them IMHO.

Seriously you have it together more than you know.

About Me

My photo
Most days I love my life even in the moments things aren't pretty I usually find that I can learn something from them