Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Good bye Basketball Hello Soccer

Sports are this wonderful all incompasing thing. I love love love watching my children participate and especially when they do well. Yet there is part of me that thinks there is way too much emphasis put on athletics. My Dad related to us through our sporting events. Maybe that is why my brother's are all sports addicts.As a society I believe we way overpay those who have been blessed with physical talents in the sports department. That being said, they do bring lots of enjoyment.
Isaac was on a fabulous basketball team this year. It was his first year of really playing (last year he was in the instructional league). His coach was really quite amazing. During the practices I would watch him instruct and teach the game, not just run through drills. He actually taught the boys how to play. Isaac is funny. He loves watching the Lakers. He is obsessive about them actually. He loves shooting baskets out in front of the house. He loves to play one on one with me, but come game time. He didn't look like he knew where to be or what to do. He was a foot shorter than all the other boys. He lacked confidence. So I was shocked when his coach talked about him at the team party and told the players and parents that they might not know but Isaac was one of the best shooters on the team. I was impressed that his coach knew that. Saturday was their last game. Isaac actually played hard. His team lost in the last 30 seconds by one basket. It was a nail bitter. It is too bad they didn't win. I think we did though cause the coach and the boys were great with Isaac and really that is what I want out of sports a good experience for my child where they have fun and learn to play the game.
Brianna's soccer season began in the rain! I loved playing soccer in the rain and it didn't seem to bother my little hat tricker one bit. She is all about scoring and scored 4 goals. The fields were so small Rob could spit across them. Brianna's on a team with Chloe and Emme it should be a really fun season for them.

1 comment:

the Roberts said...

one day I will be the soccer mom. only one kid is pretty easy I guess

About Me

My photo
Most days I love my life even in the moments things aren't pretty I usually find that I can learn something from them