Tuesday, March 30, 2010

developement

So for reasons I won't detail I have been thinking that I am a little slow in the developemental stages of life. Brianna confirmed it today when I picked her up from kindergarten.
April Justin the name still makes me a little uncomfortable. During my junior year of highschool. There was this girl who kept pestering my best friend. She would call her names,follow her around, and even get others to call her names. The girl was relentless all over some boy. I watched as my best friend's self esteem took a dive.I have to tell you she is one of the most gentle, loving, and kind people in this world. I still call her when life is really hard. I spoke with my mother about it and asked what I could do. She gave me some suggestions. I tried them all, none of them worked. Then one day walking to Chemistry class she walked up to us. She said something to Kristie I don't even remember what. Guppie or something to that extent. I said leave her alone. She told me it was none of my business. I said you mess with my friends I make it my business. She pushed me. That was all it took. I gave her a beating that only the middle child of six can. Since it was completely out of character for me the fight was talked about for weeks. In highschool everybody runs when there is a fight, we had a big audience. I was then nicknamed Tyson by my Chemistry teacher for the rest of the year. Mr. Rast the assistant principle was a soccer fan infact I think his twin sons played on the Olympic team at one point. He suspended me for 1/2 a day, I think so I wouldn't miss the soccer game. He told my mother he did't blame me for standing up to her but he had to follow the school rules of discipline. I believe she was suspended for a little bit longer. She however switched highschools and did not return to school. Highschool was my first and last fight.
Brianna got into her first fight in kindergarten yesterday. I hope it is her last. Brianna got a cute little chick from her primary teacher, she took it to school. She showed it to her friend Jayden. Well Lauren wanted to see it too. Brianna recently decided that she doesn't really like Lauren partly because she is disgusted that she picks her nose and eats it. Well Lauren thought Brianna was being mean. So at recess Lauren told some kids to "go get her" the little boy was smart enough not to listen to her. However Anna wasn't she went after Brianna from what I understand the girl kicked her and then the first ever kindergarten brawl at Atherwood Elementary insued. Brianna took her down and they were full on fighting. Her teacher told me and Lauren's mother as we picked them up. Mrs. Garcia basically said I don't blame Brianna for defending herself but because she faught she is missing two recess' while Lauren the little hit woman is only missing one. WHATEVER??? I will continue to teach my children to defend themselves. I tried to make it a learning experience on the way home and talked to Brianna about being an example because I know that she has told me that Lauren thinks church is lame and doesn't even believe in God. The reason that the name April Justin still haunts me is because while everyone was singing my praises for defending Kristie. Her Dad had a talk with me. He said the only problem is what if you have to share the gospel with her in the next life... Are you going to be comfortable with your actions? He took it to a higher level. I had been given much and much was expected. Now if I can just teach my kindergartener that.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

First of all, I can't believe you got in a fight. I like your dad's comment though. Such a good way to think about it.

Sarah Tilley said...

i think some things happen for a reason. maybe the smack-down you gave that chick was a lesson she needed, and obviously you learned something important from it as well. share your insight with your daughter and she'll turn out just as awesome as you. :)

About Me

My photo
Most days I love my life even in the moments things aren't pretty I usually find that I can learn something from them